Sunday, July 18, 2010

Post by: Annice Johnson, Class of 2011

The Internet is an amazing tool for art therapists, well, for anyone. There is a site in particular I would like to highlight: Linkedin.

Linkedin is a free professional social networking site, so it is like facebook with a suit on. As students about to emerge into a professional realm, I have found Linkedin to be a resource worth investing some time in.  Once you have become a member, you can join groups. In the search option under groups - I typed in the words art therapy. A list of art therapy groups pops up; these include: Art Therapy Alliance, International Art Therapy Organization (IATO), and many subgroups that explore more specific realms of art therapy, such as trauma work with art therapy, various mediums used, medical art therapy, and digital art therapy.
Once you join a group, there are discussions posted to the page, so it is like a chat room all dressed up with a tie. These discussions are useful in a variety of ways. As a networking site - it is helpful in meeting art therapists who are often more than willing to answer your questions. Once, I posted a discussion about a population I was studying for a class presentation. Several art therapist who worked directly with that population messaged me valuable information. Not only was it helpful for my research, but I now have some contacts that work with the population I am interested in. Valuable, no?! 

Currently, Gretchen Miller through the Materials and Media in Art Therapy Linkedin subgroup is hosting an ATC (artist trading cards) swap for members of the subgroup with the theme of "Art Therapy: Helping Others, Communities, and the World". This is a fun way to network with other actively creative art therapists. The rules were to create 4 ATCs.  Once all members have sent in their ATCs Gretchen will mail back 3 from other art therapists. The 4th cards are being kept for the Art Therapy Alliance.  Not only is this fun, but now I am able to contact other participants and start networking with them. I can't wait to find out what 3 art therapist I will receive ATCs from! 

While it is too late to sign up for this swap, there are already rumors about another one forming... so quick, hop like a bunny and sign up for Linkedin, and join the Materials and Media in Art Therapy subgroup.

Here are the ATCs I sent in:

To see the ATCs already submitted visit the Art Therapy Alliance Facebook page.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Annice for the Art Therapy Alliance shout out! Glad you are participating in the ATC swap too-- Best wishes, -gretchen

joycewhite said...

Hey Art Therapy guys, come check out my site, www.sculptingtheheart.com. I'm Winged for Art Therapy, Joyce White.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 Spiritual, Artistic and Academic Unfolding.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.